Aims and Objectives
Our Design and Technology curriculum aims to help all children to develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world. It aims as as follows:
- To develop knowledge and understanding of: materials and components; mechanisms and control systems; structures; existing products, and health and safety.
- To develop the skills of designing, planning, making, adapting and evaluating products for a particular purpose.
- To look for needs, wants and opportunities and respond to them by developing a range of ideas and making products and systems.
- To develop an understanding of technological processes, products and their manufacture, and their contribution to our society
- To nurture creativity, design and innovation and become creative and autonomous problem solvers, as individuals and as part of a team.
- To develop ICT skills to allow children to program and control products, to nurture their understanding of mechanical and electrical systems.
- To provide children with the opportunity to explore food and cooking techniques along with healthy eating and environmental issues within food production.
- To develop an ability to criticise constructively and evaluate their own products and those of others.
- To help the children develop an understanding of the ways people in the past and present have used design to meet their needs. To reflect on and evaluate such techniques, uses and effects.
- To promote pupils spiritual, moral, social and cultural development