Aims and Objectives
Our Art and Design curriculum aims to help our children develop skills, understanding and appreciation of the visual world. It aims to fire their imagination and develop their personal expression. It also provides opportunities for reflection and with increasing sensitivity; pupils should acquire the ability to make informed, critical responses to their own work and that of others.
- Develop and stimulate children’s imagination and creativity by providing a wide range of visual, tactile and sensory experiences.
- To provide an imaginative, innovative and co-ordinated art programme which will foster enthusiasm for art and design amongst all children.
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers, through links with the local and wider multicultural community.
- To help children explore the world at first hand, using all their senses and experimentation and to thereby gain the knowledge and understanding of the world in which they live.
- To develop children’s understanding of colour, form, texture, pattern and their ability to use materials and processes to communicate ideas, feelings and meanings.
- Review and modify their work as it progresses
- To inspire confidence, value and pleasure in art and design.
- To cultivate children’s aesthetic awareness and enable them to make informed judgements about art and become actively involved in shaping environments.
- To teach children to express their own ideas, feelings, thoughts and experiences.
- To develop children’s design capability.
- To enhance children’s ability to value the contribution made by artists.